Saturday, October 10

Trees

God is Good.
God Hears.
God Speaks.
God Leads Us.
God Walks Close and Protects.
He is a Good Father.
He Knows.
He Yearns for Our Love.
Today God pushed me to do things on my own.
I had not gone to the ATM. I carried nothing with me but 200 shillings (basically 20 cents).
Everyone had left the volunteer house. I sat at home. Wanting to delay my day from taking off and then being done too early. It was noon and I made myself something for lunch. Went into my room and made a button yarn craft with a verse on it (inspired by my friend lindsay's gift to me).
I wrote "Romans 12:12" on it and on the button below I wrote "God Hears".
I did this because it has been hard with my visits to except so much from these women who do not even know me. They send their children out to buy soda. To buy Mendazies. They make us Posho and Greens. I am overwhelmed at how much they give, at how great a visit from me (a stranger) is an honor. So I figured it was my turn to give.
I ended up leaving the house later then everyone else. In fact nobody was home at all.
As I began to walk to the villages, with each step I took, my thoughts wandered to my skin condition. I had noticed a mysterious rash on my skin the last couple days and with no idea as to what it was, the only conclusion was the sun, or my medicine for malaria. I started to worry that it was the sun, and then was regretting my walk to the villages starting so late in the day. Later in the day means the sun is high in the sky and beating down pretty hard. So I began to pray. I was kinda kidding, but at the same time thought it would be a cool idea if God sent me somebody to give me a ride. I kept walking and walking and then before I knew, only 50 feet from the house, a man on a motorbike behind me appeared and asked " would you like a ride". Typical question for them to ask me, because most boda drivers think that white people are completely incapable of walking further then a couple yards. I told the man that I had no money and that I was sorry, but no thank you. He then looked at me with a smile on his face and said "I will take you for free".
WHAT?!?!? I laughed in my head. This is pretty rare. I thanked God for the happy intrusion from the man and said Sure!
Apparently my face was a little too excited about the free ride because the driver asked me why I was so happy. I told him that he was an answered prayer because I asked God for a free ride. From there we just talked. I came to find that my prayer dudes name was Moses, that he graduated from college, and that he loved his job. He asked me a lot about myself. Why I was in Jinja and for how long. What it's like in America, and so forth.
We finally got to my destination and as a dismounted from the bike he told me to put his phone number in my cell and to give him a call when I needed a ride back that way I could get home safely. I told him it would not be for another 3 hours, and he was completely fine with that. So a happy camper I now was. I told him thank you, said goodbye, and began walked towards the Suubi building. However something was not right. There was no Suubi building. Anywhere in sight in fact.
"I think I'm lost" i thought to myself. Oh well. So I began to walk around houses, smiling at people, feeling pretty free about the situation I now found myself in. I met a lady named Dorthy, who sat on a mat outside her front step. She was rolling beads but she was not a member of Suubi. She actually was not with any N.G.O. But she was very sweet and we talked for a bit after she asked me what the heck I was doing over by her house. I told her I was lost, but that I was fine, not worried that much about it, and that I really enjoyed visiting with her. I then asked her if she wouldn't mind assisting me with a project I had in mind, after all she was rather talented (her beads were amazingly well done), and she willingly agreed. After we talked for a bit more, she asked me where I was trying to go. After I told her, she slipped on her shoes, but her things inside, and began walking away from her house waving at me to follow her. Ugandans are always insistent like this when it comes to helping or giving. I followed and right around the corner was a lady named Immaculate. Immaculate was a member of Suubi and apparently a neighbor of Dorthy's. She greeted me, asked me to take a seat in the shade of her yard, so I obeyed. Dorthy said goodbye, and I sat. After a while I realized that I was passed off like a hot potato and I had really no idea what was going on, but I felt honored that Immaculate was okay with me sitting and watching her clean her families clothes. So I just sat and talked every once in a while. He family was in and out of the yard. I met her husband and children, and maybe 10 more minutes passed and Immaculate looked at me and said "we go". At this point in the visit I was like a newly trained puppy. I was extatic to obey any command. Every time I did, the story kept getting cooler and I found that I was really happy about having a day that was completely unplanned. After all, the only reason why I wanted to go to the Suubi building in the first place was so that I could wander around, trying to meet some women, whoever really. As I jumped from my chair and followed Immaculate, She was multitasking with her baby boy, trying to get him fastened around her back with a piece of long fabric while asking me about myself. We footed for about 15 minutes then came around a corner and WHA LA!
the Suubi building. She introduced me to a lady named Jennifer, Joyce, Florence (who I already knew, but what the heck). I met them all and then again Immaculate left me and I was left at Joyce's house. This time watching her clean clothes. We talked. Laughed, walked around trying to find people that were interesting in dancing, trying to find people that were interesting and free to teach 91 women how to dance (now that's intense)...and finally said goodbye to each other after 3 hours.

To sum what happened in those three hours up....because i am in the mood to write a book apparently.

I met six awesome people.
met a guy (white) named Ryan, 26, speaks three languages, and holds a bible study in the village every Tuesday at 3.
Got to share my bible with a lady as we read through John 15.
Got to be served by women all day, none of them were expecting me.
Never called Moses cause my phone was out of minutes, but another man came up and offered me a free ride (i could get used to this). It was really nice cause it was dark at this time, and it is dangerous to walk home at night alone.
wow.....what a cool day.
Thanks God!

No comments:

Post a Comment